From the 1920’s through the mid-1940’s, a portion of old Bayside Park was operated as a burn dump until 1977 when the City’s General Plan committed the site to being developed as a community-wide park. Since that time, over six major environmental impact reports has shaped its future. Three regulatory agencies (Bay Conservation and Development Commission, San Mateo County Health Department, and the Solid Waste Management Board) played a major role in ensuring that the design provided maximum public access while being environmentally sound. Their involvement spanned the entire period of site investigation, design, construction period, and post-construction monitoring. Callander Associates carefully integrated self-mitigating features into the park’s final design which provides a well-integrated mix of passive and active recreational and open space opportunities.